Sports Shorts

Sports SHorts

The men’s and women’s track and field teams competed in a tri-meet against Williams and Moravian on Saturday. Both teams took first place by a wide margin.

The men won nine of their eighteen events to beat runner-up Williams by 76.5 points. Kyle J. Hannon ’11 led the Engineers with two individual wins, in the 1000 meter and 1 mile runs; Patrick K. Marx ’13, David H. Way ’13, and Paul D. Welle ’11 also had individual wins. Kenneth B. Cooper ’13 won in shot put, and the team also took first place every relay event.

On the women’s side, Portia M. Jones ’12 dominated the meet with four individual wins, scoring over a sixth of MIT’s total points. She set an Institute record in the 55 meter dash (7.37s), and qualified for NCAA Nationals in the 55 meter hurdles.

Karin E. Fisher ’11 also qualified for Nationals in the pole vault with a height of 12-9.50 feet, another MIT record.

Jamie L. Simmons ’12 had a win in the 600 meter, and Louise E. van den Heuvel ’14 added two wins in distance events.

MIT will compete in two events next weekend, hosting the Coed Invitational and competing at Boston University in the Valentine’s Meet.

Women’s Basketball loses in overtime to Wellesley College

The women’s basketball team faced Wellesley College on Saturday, losing 59-51 in overtime. The contest was an away game for the Engineers, but was played at Babson College because of a leaking roof at Wellesley’s gym.

Wellesley built a 13-6 advantage midway through the opening frame. MIT narrowed the gap to two on three occasions, the last at 18-16, but the Blue entered halftime with a 24-19 lead.

The second half was a back-and-forth battle, with eight ties and seven lead changes. MIT answered Wellesley’s 8-0 run with an 11-2 run of their own to establish its largest lead of the night (47-44) with 3:14 to go.

MIT had a two-point lead with 36 seconds to go. Wellesley was unsuccessful on its next possession and was forced to foul with 13 seconds left. On the ensuing in-bounds, Wellesley fouled the Engineers with 11 seconds left. A missed first attempt on the one-and-one was rebounded, leading to the tying layup.

The Blue carried the momentum into overtime, capitalizing on the Engineers losing two key starters to fouls. Wellesley held MIT without a field goal in the extra session, closing with a 9-1 run for the 59-51 victory.