Soccer extends unbeaten streak to 10

Tebes scores in 74th minute to give MIT 1-0 win over Clark Univ.

3379 soccer
Jonathan K. Tebes ’14 (11) charges up the midfield during Saturday’s game against Clark University. Tebes scored the Engineers’ only goal, leading MIT to a 1-0 win.
Martin Martinez Rivera

The MIT men’s soccer team extended its unbeaten streak to 10 following a 1-0 victory over Clark University in a NEWMAC contest on Saturday. Jonathan K. Tebes ’14 registered the lone goal of the contest in the 74th minute for the Engineers, who are currently ranked No. 7 in the latest NCAA New England Regional poll.

The first half was a defensive battle although MIT (10-2-1, 4-0-1 NEWMAC) had a 10-2 advantage in shots and a 4-1 edge in corner kicks. The Cougars nearly got on the board (5-7-2, 1-2-2 NEWMAC) when they were awarded a free kick just outside the box early in the half. However, his low shot was smothered by MIT goalie Dylan S. Rankin ’12. Christian W. Therkelsen ’11 tested Clark’s goalie on the ensuing counterattack with a bouncing shot, but he was denied the scoring opportunity. With less than five minutes to play in the half, MIT’s Benjamin A. Lewis ’13 sent a through ball which was initially stopped by the opposing goalie. Therkelsen corralled the loose ball and managed to get a shot off which was turned away by the defense. Zachary A. Kabelac ’12 gathered the rebound but his follow up was off target.

Early in the second stanza, Kabelac and Doenmez both had breakaways but their shots were just wide of the net. Alvarez came up with a pair of big saves on a left-footed strike by Matthew A. Monheit ’14 and then a curving blast from Therkelsen.

In the 67th minute, Van Noppen sent a dangerous free kick from 40 yards away that bent around the defense. Unfortunately, Clark was unable to capitalize and put a shot on goal.

The Engineers ended the deadlock in the 74th minute when Tebes took the ball away from the Cougars’ backfield. In a one-on-one situation, Tebes sent a low shot that grazed the inside of the far post and bounced in for his third marker of the season.

Down the stretch, Chase T. Anderson ’11 was denied on a pair of point-blank attempts, helping keep Clark within striking distance. The Cougars maintained possession during the final minutes of play, but the MIT defense was impenetrable.

Rankin finished the day with three saves en route to his fourth shutout of the season.

Next up for MIT will be its regular-season finale on Saturday, Oct. 30 when it hosts conference rival Wheaton College.