Football Defeats Maine Maritime In Season Opener, 42-39Men’s Soccer Overwhelms Caltech, 4-0Field Hockey Falls To UMass-Dartmouth

Football Defeats Maine Maritime In Season Opener, 42-39

The MIT Football team emerged victorious in their first-ever game against the Mariners of Maine Maritime Academy on Saturday, with a final score of 42-39. MIT’s DeRon M. Brown ’10 and Robert C. Utz ’09 were outstanding in the win, combining for 236 yards and three touchdowns to pace an excellent ground attack.

The Engineers got on the board first, scoring on their second drive of the game as Richard A. Mancuso ’09 threw a two-yard strike to tight end Thomas J. Franklin ’09 in the back of the end zone to put MIT up 6-0.

The second half turned into a track meet as the teams combined for 46 points. At one point in the half, the Mariners and Engineers exchanged blows by scoring on seven straight possessions to keep the fans on the edge of their seats. Trailing by five in the fourth quarter, MIT delivered the final blow of the afternoon as they capped off a late rally with Utz running the ball in from the MMA seven-yard line with 30 seconds left in regulation.

—James Kramer, DAPER Staff

Men’s Soccer Overwhelms Caltech, 4-0

For the third time in the program’s history and first since 2001, the MIT men’s soccer team started its season with four straight wins following a 4-0 decision over Caltech. The victory clinched the Boddington Tournament crown which was hosted by Colorado College.

The Engineers got on the board 8:48 into the contest when Kevin L. Chou ’11 converted on one of Tech’s six first-half corner kicks. In the 32nd minute, Christian W. Therkelsen ’11 recorded a solo effort after stealing the ball outside of the goalkeeper’s box. Although MIT continued to attack, the 2-0 advantage would hold through the intermission.

Neil S. Zimmerman ’09 set up Therkelsen for his second strike of the game just 10 minutes into the second stanza. The Engineers capped the scoring in the 62nd minute when Peter Bojo ’11 found Chase T. Anderson ’11 for his first goal of the season.

In his first intercollegiate appearance in net, Dylan S. Rankin ’12 picked up two saves and the win in 66 minutes of action. Javier M. Duarte ’10 did not face a shot on goal as he closed out the contest for MIT.

—Mindy Brauer, DAPER Staff

Field Hockey Falls To UMass-Dartmouth

Stephanie Kinchla scored twice in the second half to lead the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth’s field hockey team to a 4-2 victory over visiting MIT in a non-conference game Saturday.

Midfielder Kylie Treat gave the Corsairs a 1-0 lead when she converted a pass from sophomore Becca Festinger 5:05 into the game. Anna H. Teruya ’12 tied the score for MIT when she beat Corsair goalie Seana Golden on a penalty stroke 13 minutes later.

Sophomore midfielder Jenna Miedzionoski made it 2-1 when she converted Treat’s pass four and a half minutes before the halftime intermission. Jessica M. Oleinik ’11 scored the other goal for the Engineers.

The Corsairs out shot MIT 24-14. Golden made seven saves, while Engineer goalkeeper Keri A. Dixon ’12 made 12 stops.

UMass Dartmouth improved to 1-0 with the victory, while MIT fell to 0-3 with the defeat. The Corsairs will return to action when they visit Clark Tuesday evening, while the Engineers will visit Lasell Tuesday.

­—James Kramer, DAPER Staff