Men’s soccer shuts out Elms College 8-0 Monday

Recover from loss to Coast Guard Academy; Engineers improve to 10-4-1 for season

Following an upsetting loss to Coast Guard over the weekend, the MIT men’s soccer team turned things around quickly when they shut out Elms College 8-0 on Monday night. The Engineers improved to 10-4-1 for the season, while the Blazers dipped to 6-7-2.

Right from the beginning, MIT took control of the ball, taking eight shots at goal before the Blazers took their first. Keeper Nicholson Pennant was kept busy in the first half, saving six shots in the first 19 minutes alone, while MIT goalie Jake L. Amereno ’16 saw little action and did not have to make any saves. In the 24th minute, Matthew A. Monheit ’14 scored the first goal of the night, and what turned out to be the game-winning goal, with assists by Austin E. Freel ’16 and Nicholas A. Diamantoni ’15. Just five minutes later, Jonathan K. Tebes ’14 scored his second goal of the season. With less than three minutes remaining in the first half, Sean D. Bingham ‘16 shot the ball into the left corner of the cage, giving the Engineers a solid lead of 3-0 over the Blazers going into the second period.

With Christian Kostka in net for the Blazers and Samuel G. Cannon ’15 replacing Amereno, the second half was underway. In the 56th minute, Joseph P. Schuman ’16 scored his first collegiate goal following a corner kick by Diamantoni. No more than 30 seconds later, following a cross from John L. Kramer ’14, Bingham, once again, took advantage of an open net and scored his 13th goal of the season and MIT’s fifth of the game. With less than 20 minutes left on the clock, after a cross from Jason E. Adler ’15, fellow sophomore Bokil T. Lopez-Pineda snuck another ball past Kostka. Less than three minutes later, MIT was back at it when a ball shot by Andrew C. Fijan ’14 forced Kostka out of the net, leaving the cage wide open for Alexander Dago ’15 to boot the ball in. With 10 minutes remaining in the game, Cameron McCord ’13 scored his first goal of the season and the final one of the game with an assist by Adler.

All three MIT goalkeepers appeared in net during the game; Colin P. Hong ’15 played the remaining 11 minutes and had to make two saves, while neither Cannon nor Amereno had to make any saves. Elms also used all three of its goalkeepers and they totaled 17 saves throughout the entire game. The Engineers outshot the Blazers, 44-7.

MIT will close its regular season in Worcester, Mass. when it faces Clark University on Saturday, Oct. 27.