Sports Shorts

Field Hockey Wins Richey Tourney, Improves to 7-0

This past weekend, the MIT field hockey team competed in the Betty Richey Tournament held at Vassar College. The Engineers won both of the games they played to win the tournament and improve to 7-0. Kimberly A. Barker ’13 was named the Tournament MVP, and three other MIT players — Molly E. McShane ’13, Alexandra A. Wright ’11, and Keri A. Dixon ’11 — received all-tournament honors.

In their first game against Manhattanville College on Saturday, the Engineers got out to a quick lead behind goals by Barker and Anna H. Teruya ’12, then held on to win 3-2. MIT was outshot 8-2 in the second half, but the defense stopped several Manhattanville charges and Kameron L. Klauber ’12 added the eventual decisive goal.

In the championship game on Sunday versus the host team, MIT defeated Vassar College by a similar score of 3-2. Again, the Engineers struck early in the first half, with two goals by Barker and one by Danielle C. Smith ’11 scored within a nine-minute span. Goalie Dixon stopped Vassar several times, and the Brewers did not score their first goal until just before the half. Vassar would score once more on a penalty shot after time expired, and the Engineers remained undefeated.

The 7-game winning streak is the team’s best-ever start. The Engineers will try to match the program’s record of eight straight wins, set in 1995, when they visit Nichols College on September 22.

—David Zhu

Football Drops Opener

The MIT football team lost 49-27 to Massachusetts Maritime Academy in their season opener on Sunday afternoon. All-American running back DeRon M. Brown ’10 led MIT’s offense with 148 rushing yards and 216 yards total. Quarterback Kyle T. Johnson ’12 passed for 116 yards and a touchdown, and ran for another. Although MIT lead in possession time 33:15 to 26:45 and the Engineers’ defense limited the Buccaneers to just 27 passing yards, the opponent ran for 545 yards and six touchdowns on the ground.

Sophomore defenders Peter W. Gilliland ’12 and Kristopher C. Weaver ’12 had nine tackles apiece for MIT, and Brian P. Doyle ’11 had seven.

The first half of the game was back-and-forth, with the teams alternating touchdown scores until Mass Maritime got out to a 21-14 lead. On their next possession following an MIT punt, Mass Maritime had a 95-yard touchdown run; one play later after an MIT fumble on their own 9-yard line, the Buccaneers scored again to enter halftime leading 35-14.

Mass Maritime would reach the end zone twice more in the second half, including one on a seven-yard pass on a fake field goal attempt. MIT would add two more scores as well, on runs by Cameron R. Brown ’11 and Stephen L. Yabloski ’11. However, MIT could only convert 3 out of 4 extra point attempts for a final score of 49-27.

The Engineers’ next game will be their home opener, September 19 at 1 p.m. against Framingham State College.

—David Zhu