MIT and Babson Women’s Soccer Battle to Scoreless TieWomen’s Volleyball Outlasts Wheaton, 3-2

MIT and Babson Women’s Soccer Battle to Scoreless Tie

MIT and Babson played to their third tie in five seasons on Tuesday as neither team could break a scoreless deadlock in a New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) women’s soccer match.

Babson stayed on the attack for most of the first half, and closed the contest with a 10-3 advantage in shots. The action rarely left the midfield during the second half while neither team was able to generate a serious scoring threat in the extra sessions.

Babson nearly cashed in during the 55th minute as Jackie Graham’s header off a corner kick landed just to the right of the MIT goal. The Engineers responded with their best opportunity of the day in the 70th minute as a potential game-winning goal off the foot of rookie Alisha D. Lussiez ’12 was called back after MIT was whistled for offsides.

MIT junior Kathryn A. Pesce ’10 had a near-break-away attempt just three minutes later, but Babson goalkeeper Sarah Macary rushed in and made a diving stop to prevent a clean shot. With five minutes left in regulation, rookie Lauren Clement had a cross land at her feet in front of the MIT goal, but she couldn’t make the turn before the threat was cleared.

Stephanie V. Brenman ’09 made six saves for the Engineers, including four stops in the first half. Macary finished with two saves for Babson.

—James Kramer, DAPER Staff

Women’s Volleyball Outlasts Wheaton, 3-2

The MIT women’s volleyball team held off a formidable Wheaton College squad, 25-22, 21-25, 26-24, 22-25, 15-8, in a New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) match on Tuesday night.

During the opening set, the teams traded early points, but the Engineers eventually managed to forge ahead, 23-15, on Jennifer Li’s ’11 ace. Wheaton crept back thanks to a 7-1 run that made it 24-22 before an error sealed the win for MIT.

Set two was also a close affair, as Wheaton maintained a minimum three-point cushion for the remainder of the set. Alexandra T. May ’10 landed a kill to close the gap to 24-21, but Lauren Kraus blocked an attack at set point to tie the match.

The Engineers took a 6-1 advantage in the third set behind a pair of aces from Lindsay E. Hunting ’09 and consecutive kills by May, but Wheaton tallied a 6-0 run to capture the lead. The teams played through five more ties before the Engineers rallied with a 6-1 run to go up 24-23. The Lyons forced a short-lived tie at 24 before another May kill clinched the set.

When MIT edged ahead, 11-8 in the fourth set, it was the first time either team had led by more than two points, but Wheaton scored four straight thanks to consecutive Kraus blocks to put the hosts on top, 12-11. Four ties ensued, as neither squad led by more than three points. Consecutive May kills eventually made it 24-22, but a kill from Wheaton’s Miranda Howitt forced a fifth set.

Kraus and Kaitlyn Stokes blocked an MIT attack to give Wheaton the first point in the final set, and a Becca Rose ace had the home team on top, 5-3, before the Engineers rallied for 12 of the final 15 points in the match. After MIT had surged ahead, Stokes’ kills brought the Lyons to within 9-7 and 11-8 before a Hunting ace ended the match.

—Mindy Brauer, DAPER Staff